Monday, January 18, 2010

He-Man Tastic!

All week, we've watched the same 10 episodes of He-Man over and over. Ugh...so done. But the kids have been insistent. "Daddy, when can we sit in your lap and watch He-Man?" It occurred to me almost instantly, these little children of mine are programmed to cram everything into a few days on the weekend. They fight for their daddy time, fight for meaningful time spent with us. I think it will be several weeks before they realize that we'll no longer adhere to that routine. That we're free to love on each other at 10am for example. That we can spend more time together laughing at the E*Trade baby, more time fighting over who is going to pick up that giant fuzzy bug in the kitchen floor. These are the things that I can understand as an adult to be the best times of our lives. My kids don't get it right now. They miss their class-mates and still talk about school as if they're on an extended break. I knew it would be something we'd have to work through, and I'm just so thankful that because they're so little, they have had a positive experience with school. I'm also extremely thankful that even though they miss their friends, they're excited and happy to be at home with me!

On another topic, I have been a cleaning machine! It feels so good to be a keeper at home. I have been on such a crazy schedule for so long with everything and everybody else demanding all of my time, that this last week has been amazingly productive. Inside the walls of our home, I have changed a bathroom faucet, re-organized our pantry, cleaned our kitchen top to bottom, painted the room we're now going to use as our school room, written out our favorite 21 meals, Bug helped with this task:) and so many more small things that I've just had to set aside for so long! I'm loving the idea of making a kitchen binder to hold our favorite recipes, meal planning stuff...anything to do with the kitchen. OOOH! Another thing I did that I'm extremely proud of, I made a cleaning kit. The beautiful thing about this is that I used some pretty kid-friendly items so that the Bug and my Sweet Boy can help me out. They LOVE to help me wipe and dust and vacuum (but cry while cleaning their rooms?!). I got a TON of terrific ideas about keeping my home from Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook. It's funny that I know what to do and how to clean, but love to read about how other people do things. I find it inspiring for some reason. Okay, that's enough I think to sum up this last week. Except, I have to say, my husband's birthday came and went and he now shares his birthday with the horrible Haiti earthquake:( My heart has been hurting for that place. I feel...well, probably the same as you all feel. Sick. Helpless. I feel like prayer, although necessary and powerful, just somehow isn't enough. And who am I to say that?? God is sovereign over all. He knew this day was coming long before we did. And I have to trust that whatever happens from here on out, things will work out according to His perfect will and plan. And I must also say, I just love Dr. Charles Stanley. I absolutely do NOT know what I would do without his ministry. I loooove www.intouch.org and use it daily for precious time spent with Jesus. I am encouraging you all to go there and explore if you haven't. I think it will be a blessing to you.


I need some feedback: I'm looking for computer software for the kids, learning games, etc...any ideas or specific things you use or have wanted to try??

4 comments:

Kathy said...

There used to be a website called, "Study Dog." It was very good for early elementary & preschool. It's probably still up. The children really enjoyed that one. As I think of others I'll pass them on to you. Blessings-it was fun having you come by today! (Silly followers button....what is going on with that?)

Talisha said...

Thanks for the info...I know, what a bummer! Hopefully they'll have it fixed soon. Anyway, we'll check out that site tomorrow!

Kathy said...

Talisha, have you ever read that book, "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" by Clay and Sally Clarkson? It is the best resource book, in my experience, on homeschooling. It has encouraged me many times as I have referred back to it over the years. They make recommendations that would fit many, and then they tell their own experience on what THEY did. It's great. Another great encouragement is to subscribe to a homeschooling magazine. My personal favorite is This Old Schoolhouse Magazine. It only comes out 4 times a year, but I have yet to toss an inssue. They're that good.

Well, my followers buttons are back, so I am thrilled about that. Looking forward to this great journey in the Lord together!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, I discovered time4learning.com as a supplement to the curriculum I'm using (My Father's World). It's for math and language arts. It's $20 a month, but it's been really good for him. When he has trouble with something, I find some worksheets online to print out and go over until he gets it! Let me know what curriculum and things you discover and use, too. It's been an interesting year trying to figure out how to do this!! (Btw, this is Cyndi because it won't let me leave my name!!)

Post a Comment