Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Whoa, Nelly!

I sooo just got myself in trouble starting this blog! I have seen many blogs, in fact, it was just about a week ago that I read my first blog on purpose. So, I guess it's safe to say I'm obsessed with blogging right now, and naturally, my next step into the blogging world would be this one. Wanna know how the sickness began? Read on.

My husband and I have been praying for a year about the decision whether or not to homeschool our 2 kids. We actually started out (half-heartedly) homeschooling our little girl, who I'll call Bug, in Kindergarten. It proved itself to be difficult, and at the time I was distracted by anti-depressant induced health issues, and was also faced with the reality of needing to go back to work to help out with finances. So, needless to say, I gave up. Quickly. In the meantime, I reluctantly dragged my baby into public school (the "best" of what this town has to offer-in our neighborhood, mind you). She was scared to death having never been away from her mother (no pre-school experience) and I HATED to leave her at a school all day. For I had never experienced this separation from my baby. It was a drastic change and a horrible feeling I won't soon forget. My sweet son, who was just 3 at the time, was safe with family while I went to work, so leaving him wasn't nearly as gut-wrenching.

So, Bug went to school. I went to work. My dear husband, went to work. My sweet son went to Grami's. Then I quit work, and started up a restaurant with my parents. NO SMALL TASK. Sweet Son started Pre-school at the local Charter school, while Bug attended 1st grade at the same school. Fortunately, during this time, the kids were chosen at random to attend the charter school together. They were now in a safe, loving environment that I felt better about leaving them in all day. So, the restaurant was busy growing, my family was busy growing, and I was just busy busy.
STOP THE INSANITY!!

And this brings us to where I am now...my daughter is in 2nd grade, my son a kindergartner. They are both doing very well at the local charter school. Excellent grades, wonderful teachers, superb principal and staff. And might I add, it takes years to get into this school. There's literally a waiting list that you sign them up for at BIRTH and hope they get in for Kindergarten or 1st grade. It's CRAZY! But it's an excellent school, so I understand why. Yet, I still feel the tug on my heart-strings (namely, the Holy Spirit) to bring my babies home with me. Did I mention I'm not working at the restaurant now? I feel comfortable, like I said, with the school and everthing about it. Except something is missing from my kids' daily lives. Enough Family. Ample Bible teaching. A 24/7 Christian worldview which they cannot have at their age without constant guidance! These are just a few things in number, but they are HUGE in my personhood. These three things are EVERYTHING in my life. The legacy I wish to leave these children is solely the knowledge that Jesus Christ is real and available to them and to everyone. I want my kids to know Jesus. I want my grandkids to know Jesus.

You get the point, so this is it. On January, 14, 2010, we will remove our 2 children from the charter school that we love, so that we may obey our God and pursue our rightful responsibility in training up our children in the way that they should go. It is with extremely great humility that I take on this task, knowing full well that I am NOT a teacher, that it's NOT all gonna be cupcakes and merry-go-rounds, and that we will have our struggles. Heck we may even fail, but I'll know in my gut that I obeyed God Almighty in this. So, therefore I'll leave any and all consequences of my obedience to Him.

So, to answer that first question...I was researching curriculum and stumbled upon some of the most amazing homeschooling/homemaking blogs. Some of them are chock-full of info, tips, and resources for all things related to the subject(s). From there, a new sickness was born, a research bug has bitten me. I'll share more of what I find over time through links on this blog. Yay me! I'm officially a blogger, and soon to be very happy mom with her children at home under foot and in training:)

On My Face

4 comments:

Karin Katherine said...

Welcome to blogging! The research bug has bitten me too. Its dangerous, but fun! Thanks for visiting my blog Mommy matters (and being my 100th follower) I also have a homeschool blog www.PassportAcademy.com that you may like as well and a blog for educators called www.teachermatters.blogspot.com that should keep you busy!

Shaundra said...

Go girl! Im so excited for you! You are right about it not being all cupcakes, but the fun thing is sometimes it is!!!! :) I love you and Im praying for you! You can do it...with GOD!

kw said...

You can do it! There's no other better reason than to do it because you are following God. Have fun blogging! But be careful, you might end up in a support group from being addicted. :o) Can't wait to watch your family grow in God's word and homeschooling!

Kathy said...

Hi, another Homeschooling Mom to encourage you and affirm that you are doing the right thing. Homeschooling is just like other areas in your life where you "grow as you go!"

A book which was a great influence and encouragement for me has been, "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" by Sally and Clay Clarkson. It's a tremendous resource. Whenever I feel like I have lost my focus in homeschooling, I pick up that book, and almost any page re-motivates and encourages me.

I'll pray for balance in your homeschooling and your blogging journey.

One of the great things about blogging is the DRAFTS feature when you save a post prior to publishing. My husband is especially good about doing that. It allows you to work on a post over a period of days (especially if you want to log your homeschooling adventures and post weekly only), and then publish.

My children are 9 and 7. If you go to my blog, Field Lily, I have a link to a blog called Delightful Learning. My friend, Michelle, has children your age and might be a great source of help also. My homeschooling blog is called, Field Notes. Blessings, and I hope this reply isn't too long! I'm excited about your new venture in life. Kathy

Post a Comment